Three Christmas Day attackers jailed for total of 40 years

Three friends who launched a vicious attack on a man outside his Birmingham home on Christmas Day have been jailed for a total of almost 40 years.

Israr Mahmood, Qamran Iqbal and Omar Younis left the 30-year-old with a serious head injury and a bleed on the brain after clubbing him with baseball bats and machetes.

The incident took place at Washwood Heath at around 11pm on 25 December 2013.

According to police reports, the trio followed the victim to his home address, having previously approached his car outside a take-away and hurling a brick through the window.

It was the culmination of a long-running feud that had seen the men repeatedly intimidate the father-of-two and even threaten him outside the gates of the primary school their children attended.

Mahmood (30), from Graham Road, Saltley, Iqbal (35) and 32-year-old Younis – both from Lime Tree Road in Washwood Heath – denied involvement in the attack, but refused to answer any police questions.

However, they were found guilty of wounding at Birmingham Crown Court on 25 August, following a two-week trial with Mahmood jailed for 13 years. Iqbal and Younis were handed 12-and-a-half year terms.

“It was a very nasty attack that left the victim in hospital until New Year’s Eve. He knew his attackers from his school days and so all three were quickly identified and arrested.

“They denied involvement but refused to say where they were on the night – but during the trial Mahmood claimed to have been at a family function, while Iqbal and Younis said they had been playing snooker at the time.

“However, a jury saw through those last-minute bogus alibis and unanimously found them guilty. This was a savage assault with weapons and involved a degree of planning…they have rightly been put behind bars for a long time.”

– West Midlands Police Detective Inspector Ben West

The 30-year-old, who had been out with two friends, bumped into the men on a petrol station forecourt at around 10pm on Christmas Day before encountering them again among a large crowd near a fast food eatery in Sparkhill.

As they attempted escape, a group of around 15 men swarmed around their car as Iqbal shattered the driver’s window with a brick, and then followed the friends to Washwood Heath where they chased down the victim.

It later emerged the men had threatened him numerous times in the past, but none of the intimidation had been reported to police.

“He hoped or presumed the threats would stop…he didn’t report any of his concerns to us. If anyone is being threatened or harassed they should always report it to police; this can be done in confidence but it’s important we know so we can take action against the offender and help safeguard anyone potentially at risk.”

– Det Insp West

A fourth man aged 30 from Hodge Hill was also charged with wounding but cleared by the jury.

Share :

Leave A Comment