10 Tips To Make Christmas Tree Last Longer
The Christmas tree is very symbolic during the yuletide season. However, keeping a Christmas tree alive until the Christmas period is easier said than done. Below are simple tips that will help in keeping your trees in good shape during the holiday.
- Ensure you choose a tree with a cut straight across the base of the trunk. This will aid water absorption.
- If you want to make the tree yourself, ensure it is fresh and has healthy green color with very few brown needles.
- In order to avoid any resin that might have dried on the tree, make a fresh one-inch cut at the end. This will prevent any hindrance to water absorption.
- Give your tree enough water.
- Ensure the water level cover the cut end of the trunk always. This will make the pine to get sufficient water thereby keeping it hydrated.
- Keep the tree away from direct sunlight, fireplaces and wood stoves. This will keep the tree from drying out faster.
- Replace the old Christmas bulbs with the new LED bulbs that are smaller and produce less heat.
- Ensure you cover the floor where the tree will be placed with properly sewn tree skirt or Christmas-themed paper. This will be both decorative and also protect the floor where the tree is placed.
- Always inspect the tree to ensure its needles are flexible and not dry and brittle. Don’t use trees with needles that fall easily.
- Avoid the use of pesticides. Choose organic when possible. Check out localharvest.org for a list of local and organic Christmas farmers.